With all the hair care products available, consumers can easily become entangled in their choices. Some products promise to be gentler on hair, while others offer thickening or smoothing solutions, but not all of these claims are scientifically based. Despite their uplifting promises, some products can be just a waste of money, and some can actually damage the hair, said Dr. Nicole Rogers, an assistant professor of dermatology at Tulane University in New Orleans.
However, the point is whether you have had a damage before or you are on the neutral side, still, there are basic principle you must imbibe to enable you get the best of what you have always wanted. The following contain some healthy tips that will help maintain a lovely hair that is cynosure of all eyes.
What to do:
- Wash hair sparingly and use a good-quality shampoo: Washing hair too often can leave hair dried out, leached of its natural oils, and may damage your hair. Aim to shampoo your hair at most once or twice a week.
- Try shampoos that do not contain sulphates or parabens: Sulphates are the chemicals that make shampoos lather up. Parabens are preservatives that cause irritation and eye problems after prolonged use. Both of these chemicals aren’t healthy for you or the environment so try to use shampoos with natural cleansers.
- Choose a shampoo that suits your hair type: Don’t just go for any how shampoo; because it’s not all that can work perfectly with your hair. You need to be very certain of the one that will match perfectly with your hair type. For instance; curly or coarse hair probably wants frizz-minimizing and softening shampoo. While straight or oily hair probably wants a gentle shampoo designed for daily washing. Coloured or treated hair probably needs a shampoo that’s fortified with extracts or amino acids, because treating your hair is essentially damaging it. And dry hair probably needs shampoos with glycerine and collagen to help restore some moisture into the hair.
- Use conditioner that matches your hair type, length, and treatment damage: Another good thing to consider is the type of conditioner you use for your hair type. Though every shampoo time require a good conditioner, yet after choosing the best shampoo for your hair, you should also considered a gentle care conditioner that is suitable for your hair. Also, deep conditioning is very good for your hair. It keeps hair soft, healthy and moisturized.
- Be careful about using hair care products with too much protein: Too much protein can leave your hair feeling desiccated and brittle. While protein is the building block of healthy hair, use conditioners that come with balanced ingredients. Frizz-control serum can be used in small quantities to tame frizzes. Make sure you do not use too much, and wash once a week with a deep-cleanse shampoo to avoid build-up, which will leave hair looking dull and flaky.
- What to avoid:
The sun: Try as much as you can to avoid direct contact of your hair with the sun or moreover, wear hat whenever you have to go outside.
Chemicals: (such as chlorine) in pools – so you should wash your hair after swimming in a pool.
Products and treatments make hair curly or straight or change its colour. Do try as much as you can to ignore most of these products that cause damage to your hair most especially things you use to style your hair, such as curling irons, flat irons and hair dryers. So, don’t use them too much, more so, if your hair seems to be getting drier or breaks easily.
Basic facts you may not know about your hair care:
- If you put oil on your hair at night before going to shower it would leave your hair shiny.
- When you sleep with wet or damp hair, this will weaken the follicles and make hair strands brittle. Instead, blow dry in low heat at the roots before bed.
- Most people use more shampoo than they need. Depending on hair length, you probably only need about a quarter sized dollop.
- Do you know when you blow dry hair too frequently, or the use of other heat products, can stress your hair?
- Do you know when you rinse your hair under cold water after you finish shampooing and conditioning can make it shine and look even more luscious than it was before?
- You can naturally strengthen your hair by mixing carrots, vitamin, and water together in a blender and rubbing gently into your hair before you wash. Be sure to wash out well.
- You Don’t need to use many hair products as this may cause damage to your hair.
- Don’t comb your hair often, it causes damage to your hair. If you want to comb, try combing softly.
- Don’t use hot water to wash your hair, it damages the cells of your hair.
- When you put oils in your hair, hold forward the head and massage the oils in. Also, it stimulates the roots for better hair improvements.
- Don’t brush your hair when it’s wet, when your hair is wet, it is very fragile. And if you do brush your hair when it’s wet, you will lose a lot more hair than your supposed to.
- Argan Oil is really good for your hair and makes it shiny.